Saturday, September 27, 2008

Single Mom

Daddy is out of town for the weekend, so Trey has a single mom for today and tomorrow. It's not the first time we've been alone together for the weekend. It's more like the third or fourth. The first weekend we were alone together for a whole weekend was when Trey was about six weeks old, and Daddy left us to attend a weekend bachelor party in Las Vegas. Coincidentally, that was the weekend that Trey decided to pretend to have colic, which was completely out of character for our sweet little boy. It lasted for two miserable days and then went away as soon as Daddy came home. So it wasn't the best weekend. The other weekends we've had to ourselves have been much better, but it's still not nearly as much fun as having Daddy around too.

This week I had lunch with another mom who has a little boy in Trey's class and she told me she is a single mom by choice. I think she's officially the first woman I've known personally who has chosen to have a baby without a partner. She's also a full-time litigation attorney at a big Houston firm, so she's just like me, sans husband. I don't know how she does it, and I really admire her for making such an amazing life decision and figuring out how to make it work. Weekends like this, as fun as they are, are harder than when Daddy is around. I totally respect all of the single moms of the world.

No comments: