Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fun Birthday

In honor of Trey's birthday today, and for the second year in a row, I took the day off to treat Trey to a fun day of activities. I'm sure there will come a point in his life when he would rather be at school with his friends than out with Mom on his birthday, but for now, we are enjoying the time together.

After a doctor's visit for his 2 year check up (we won't talk about that -- it was not the most pleasant part of his day due to the need to draw blood for lead and allergy testing), we headed out for yet another day at Gymboree. We had a class to make up, and I knew Trey would enjoy the indoor play once again. And he did.

After Gymboree, we headed to Ruggle's cafe for lunch, where Trey loves the grilled cheese, fruit, and sweet potato fries. It was no different this time.
I wasn't planning on a nap, as Trey hates nap time and I didn't want to force it on his birthday (the sleep "experts" can judge away -- he is just not a big napper!), but Trey fell asleep in the car en route to our next destination. Deciding I could stand a nap myself, I simply laid the driver seat down and took a nap right along with him. There sure is something to be said for regular afternoon naps -- I could get used to it!

After Trey woke up (I admit I could have slept a while longer!), we went inside to Monkey Joe's, an indoor bounce playplace that has lots of "bouncy houses" for kids under 3. We had never been there, but it came highly recommended from a friend, and it was cold and rainy outside, which ruled out any outdoor activities.

Trey loved Monkey Joe's. At first it took him a little while to figure out what to do, but once I showed him the joy of jumping, he loved every minute of it. He especially loved the slides, but decided pretty quickly that the 3-year-and-under slide was a bit too wimpy for him, so off we went to explore the bigger areas. The challenge was that I wasn't allowed onto the bounce areas for the older kids, so I had to stand there and worry that Trey could hold his own. But he did. He LOVED the big slide that literally went all the way up to the top of the ceiling. After about 10 trips up and down that slide, I finally got nervous, and I made him stop. We went back to the (boring) little kid houses for a while, and then it was time to go home.

Trey had a fun birthday, and it was great to be able to spend that time with him. It is so hard to believe he is already two!

No comments: