Monday, November 2, 2009

First Phrase? and Singing

We have been waiting patiently for the day when Trey's cute voice would bless us with a phrase or two. Of course, he has been saying "I don't know" for quite some time now, but for some reason we don't count this, probably because he said it so early that we figure he couldn't have possibly meant it as a phrase.

But this weekend, Aunt Kacie was over, and Trey somehow got his hands on one of our clear plastic 2-cup measuring cups. And he put the bottom of the cup over his eye, looked through it at Aunt Kacie, and said "I see you!" And he did this a few times, enough that we're sure he really meant what he said and it wasn't just a coincidence.

Perhaps this marks a turning point for Trey's verbal skills, because later that day, Trey starting singing. And I mean *really* singing. He has always been a singer, but on Sunday night, Trey starting singing "Twinkle Twinkle," and it had actual words and a tune to it. Then, in the car today, I swear Trey was singing "Ba Ba Black Sheep." I'm not positive, because I'm not quite sure how he would know that song well enough to sing it, but he was definitely singing, and there were definitely words set to the tune that was (I promise you) on pitch!

We just can't wait for Mama C to hear our little vocalist, as we know that she in particular would be proud. Stay tuned for more words and phrases from Trey!

Editor's note: Although most of you will not be surprised to hear this, I'm embarrassed to say there was a time when I was *almost* worried about Trey's verbal skills. He just didn't start talking, or even verbalizing things like animal noises, as early as some of the other children in his class (who all have very smart parents and are probably ahead of the curve on any standard). For a while, I blamed it on his ears and all of those darn ear infections. But then he got tubes, and well, he didn't start talking right away. For those close to me, this is nothing new -- I worried about him crawling, and walking, and basically everything else in between. I have to admit it: I'm a worrier. I try and try not to overcome it, and my sweet husband has certainly helped me to chill out a bit, but it's just in my blood. So I will try to remind myself of this the next time I worry about Trey not advancing as quickly as I somehow think he could or should. This is yet another reason I feel I am a better mother for being a working mother. If I were home all the time, I would worry and obsess about every little aspect of Trey's development, and that's just not healthy for anyone.

No comments: